Welcome to the 2018 edition of the CyberScope – Results International’s regular market update for the global cybersecurity space.
Review of 2018:
- Record deal making in cybersecurity with 183 deals in the space, the highest we have seen, and continued IPO activity (Avast, Carbon Black, Tenable and Zscaler)
- High profile breaches have resulted in demand for innovative technologies that can prevent or mitigate against highly complex business-critical cyber risk. Consequently, there were high valuations across the sector across M&A, fundraisings and IPOs that have taken place.
Review of predictions made for 2018:
- As predicted in 2018, the market continues to have an acute shortage of cyber talent, making skilled groups of people a highly valued asset
- Results International, advised on MWR InfoSecurity’s acquisition by F-Secure to create a European cyber services leader
- With GDPR coming in to effect we had predicted wider interest in the access and governance space
- Francisco Partners, in 2018, first acquired Bomgar and then Avecto (which was advised by Results International on its sale) closely followed by BeyondTrust, to build a global market leader in the Privileged Access Management (PAM) space
Predictions for 2019:
- Increasing number of high profile breaches will drive spending on innovative cyber products and services; supported by substantial VC investment at high valuations
- An increase in the number of deals in the sector, with broader appetite from financial investors and strategic buyers
- We also expect that, subject to wider macroeconomic factors, the success of the likes of Zscaler will encourage more security businesses to publicly list in 2019
Cybersecurity, from growth equity raises to strategic exits, continues to generate great interest, making now an excellent time to be contemplating a fundraising, exit or growth through acquisition in the cybersecurity space – if you are, please do get in touch.Read Less